Friday, June 19, 2009

A Time of Opportunity

I feel like my heart has been heavy with certain thoughts and questions for the last couples of weeks and the pieces are only finally coming together. If I had to choose one word to describe my conclusion it would be- opportunity. Bailey is showing alot of signs of the terrible twos and has been for awhile. For us it all boils down to when Bailey doesn't get what she wants, whether that be the toy that a friend is playing with or her milk cup from the counter. The worst part lately has been that she just learned the word no. And she doesn't just say no, it's a NO with attitude. So yesterday was our regular Thursday morning playgroup and it was my morning to host. I actually woke up and thought "if I can only survive playgroup then we can get through the rest of the day" because when it comes to sharing, Bailey has the hardest time when it is her own toys. So playgroup was as rough as I expected and I spent her afternoon naptime pondering what to do. I have read alot of parenting books and I am just not feeling prepared for the terrible twos. In fact, I realized that I don't want to look at them as terrible twos, and this is when it hit me. I am not supposed to just survive the next year in my life in fear. What would happen when we got to adolescence if that were the case- just survive the next four years? How small would my God be if that were the case? God wants me to think of each day in her life as an opportunity. No this doesn't mean Bailey learned overnight to share, but that I am looking each day for opportunities. Right now it is going to be how to deal with frustration and anger through self-control. I also felt an overwhelming desire to just pour my heart out for my little girl to God and that my attitude towards this time would be a reflection of my walk with the Lord. I don't know about you, but it felt good to get a glimpse of how God is going to get you through a season in your life. I was also reminded of something Greg Matte shared at Breakaway one night-

Big God = Little Problems. Little God = Big Problem.

So, if you feel compelled please pray for me. That I would daily find time to spend with the Lord. Bailey's character is too important for me not to, but there are just so many distractions. Pray that I have the strength to stay consistent with discipline after long days and patience when I am not seeing any progress. And lastly, please pray for Bailey.

And as Bailey was waking up from her nap, God reminded me that the devil doesn't wear crocs.

7 comments:

The Gray Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Courtney said...

Girl, sounds like we're sailing in the same boat! I know exactly how you feel and am looking for help in the exact same way. I'll pray for you and you pray for me! :-) We'll get through this phase just to find a new set of challenges in the next phase.

I wonder how often our mothers laugh at us?

Franny said...

What a beautiful post. You know that you and Bailey are always in my prayers. It is with pleasure that I pray for all my children and grandchildren. Think of each day as a gift from God. Bailey is such a precious gift from God. Some wise person gave me some very wise advice many years ago when I was in your shoes: enjoy each age and each stage of your child's life. Time passes way too quickly. Before you turn around she will be in a totally different stage with its own challenges. One of my dad's favorite sayings was: "This too shall pass."
Here are my words of advice to all you mothers of toddlers out there: Slow down and smell the roses. Get enough rest yourself so that you can be strong and better able to deal with these precious little 2 year olds.
With love,
Nana

cheryl said...

Praying for you! I can TOTALLY relate. Great post. ;o)
It's amazing how these "phases" can feel so all conusming at times.

(Sadie will miss you tomorrow...we're out of town, but we'll see you Tue.)

The Reading Family said...

I think you posted this just for me...haha ;) Love you guys and hopefully we can get through this together with more smiles than complaints, because I am sure that we will miss our little hooligans being this cute and oppinionated someday...maybe...haha ;)

The Fam said...

Thanks for being so vulnerable. Love you and that cutie stinker mucho!

The Mezger Family said...

Thank you all for your wonderful comments! Ashley- I think Bailey must have deleted your comment because Luke and I didn't do it. We definately appreciated it.