Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Halloween

Halloween this year took so long to get here and then passed by in a blur that ended too soon. By 9 something all of our party guests were gone and I looked at Luke with my sad face and sighed that Halloween was over. Oh, but what a fun year and everyone had such great costumes! I am still amazed at the homemade costumes (King and Queen cards and jester, salt and pepper shakers, and girafees, cowboy chaps just to name a few), giggling at some of the funny ones (someones oversized waist), and proud of everyones thriftyness and creativity. If you know me or have been reading this blog for awhile you know that I love family themed costumes. Love them! This year's costumes were decided before Halloween last year so we could get the costumes half off.  So I present to you the Mezger Pumpkin Patch with Luke as our protective scarecrow.


This was our medium size "ponkin"- Bailey. We took this beforehand knowing that the actual day would be too crazy.


Our smallest pumpkins Bailey's lions. Thanks Gigi for the costumes.


 Another medium size pumkin who is especially sweet- Blake.


Yes, I even dressed up the dog.


Here are a few pictures from the party.
Franny and Blake. Isn't she a great clown and an awesome set of extra hands!!!


Bouncy house fun with Princess Belle (Emmy) and Tinkerbell (Shelby)


ABBY'S HERE! Abby was one of the 5 Reading chickens. I wish I had a picture of the whole costume- cutest tights ever!


This is my old small group (minus Chelsie) and a glimpse of the costumes. My friends did not disappoint with their costumes! There were cowboys, girafees, nerds, Old McDonald with his farm animal, chefs with salt and pepper shaker, Tony Romo and his nurse, chickens, a hula girl, and even the King and Queen of Spades. Sadly, my camera broke again (I feel like that's the story of this year) so more pictures will have to wait, however, I stole 2 different cameras during the night so I expect pictures soon : )


Here's a little fun I had with food for the party.
 Mummy dogs. So easy- it's hot dogs rolled in crescent roll with 2 dots of mustard for eyes.


Hard to see, but apple slices with Halloween shaped cutouts.


Skeleton fingers. White chocolate, sprinkles, pretzel sticks, using a mold.




Just this week a freind ask me what happens when the kids want to pick out their costumes and I have the answer.

The Fairy That Stole My Heart

This is Bailey and Abby at their preschool Halloween party. Abby introduced us to Tinkerbell when Chelsie brought some stuff over for Bailey to borrow and entertain herself while I was recovering from my surgery, which was awesome- Thanks Chelsie! Abby wanted to dress up as Tinkerbell for the party and there just happened to be another Tinkerbell costume in the school's dress up box and so Bailey got to be Tinkerbell too. Let me just tell you that this Tinkerbell stole my heart walking around in her princess shoes, swishing her dress around, and laughing. I will probably not foget the huge smile on her face that day and I did not once regret that she wasn't wearing her pumpkin costume. So, I have to admit that ever since then I have known that this might be the last year of family themed costumes. This is made harder by the fact that I have so many great ideas for the years to come- Neverland, Ghost Busters, Legos, Star Wars, but I will only do it if Bailey gets to pick the costume and I can work around it. If I didn't already have the costumes bought then I would have let her be Tinkerbell this year. Again I was reminded that all of my 'doing' is more about what it will look like through pictures or my eyes. What joy to stop and think about a 3 year old thinking that she can really fly.


So your guess is as good as mine as to what we will be next year and I will probably be scrambling at the last minute trying to get it together, but here's to memories that aren't picture perfect, but stick to your heart.

2 comments:

rott said...

Your ending comments about the fairy made me tear up. Beautiful.

Jodi

The Reading Family said...

I totally teared up too ;) I love these girls! So glad Abby has such a great little "sister" as B :)