Monday, May 21, 2012

My Journey in Budgeting

Sometime 6.5 - 7 years ago Luke dropped a bombshell in our conversation when he said the word BUDGET. Without blinking an eye I told him firmly that we were NOT going to have a BUDGET before heading down the hall, shutting (maybe slamming) doors as I went down the hall eventually ending up on the floor of my closet. To be honest at that moment I had no idea why I was acting so immaturely, other than the fact that I thought any money conversation meant fighting, arguing, or at best disagreeing.

To give you some background, up to that point in life I would spend most all of what I had on I-can't remember-what, not thinking much about savings, but never getting in debt. Luke and I had been married two years, we both had jobs, a house we were re-modeling, a house and truck payment, a small amount of retirement savings, but we wanted to take vacations. Compared to today, we would say we didn't have a geat idea of where our money was going.

But let's go back to my story, Luke quietly made a mental note not to bring budgeting up again, but what he didn't know was that God was softening my heart. To the point that when a Crown Financial class (a financial teaching and resources class from a Christian, biblical perspective) was brought up in Sunday School, I elbowed him and told him I thought we should do it. I am sure he thought he married a schizophrenic. A couple of months ago I had said in the loudest voice that is not a yell that I would not have a budget and now I was initiating us going to a budgeting class.

So we took that class with our friends the Fosheas and soon to be friends the Banks. It was taught by a sweet couple the Lees (who model a giving heart like no one else I have personally ever met. They give away 1% of their income for every year they have been married) and we had a great time! Thus Melissa got involved in tracking of our finances. Let me be clear that God still had some work to do, as I would be embarrassed of the amounts we spent back then, especially my discretionary amount, but I am a work in progress. I can also look back and laugh at the "see what Katie thinks" conversations Luke and I use to have, where I would have to call Katie and convince her we needed something before I could purchase it.


Fast forward to 5 years ago- Luke was starting his own company, I was a stay at home mom, and we had just sold our first home. This is when I would say that we starting budgeting. We knew the days of being a DINKWAD (dual income no kids with a dog) were over and that Luke's income would come in waves so we had to know how live when times could be lean and not out spend when times were plentiful. Enter the Readings who along with the Fosheas & Banks are a great source of encouragement to me in this area.

Fast forward to 3 years ago, Luke becomes a Dave Ramseyonite and enter his baby steps into our lives. The first three steps are easy, but the fourth is what gives us a bit of a hangup, however we start to “live like no one else so later you can live like no one else."

Fast forward to 2 years ago, our goal is to live on the 2009 budget and add Blake to the mix.

Fast forward to last year, still live on 2009 budget, but delete cable from our lives and enter rice & beans every Sunday night.

Fast forward to this year, still live on 2009 budget, but now add Blair. Plus delete eating out from our lives (with the exception of special occasions) and try to buy 90% of the kid's clothes at Goodwill.

Fast forward to two weeks ago, Melissa is really wanting to eat out and not wanting to eat rice & beans AGAIN. This is where God is so good. I just happen upon a Jen Hatmaker book titled 7: An Experimental Mutany Against Excess AND the first chapter is on food. So we haven't eaten out except for when it has been free for us or was a very special occasion since last December and I broke that rule two weeks ago for a Thundercloud Egg Salad sandwhich. I could try to explain that I wasn't feeling great (Bailey had a stomach bug the day before and I thought I was probably getting it), but that's just an excuse. The honest answer is that I knew I was going to be out of the house till 1, didn't eat breakfast, knew I would be hungry, but didn't pack a lunch.

Anyways, this book is rocking my world. I love it and it's exactly what I needed to hear as encouragement for not eating out. God in his graciousness allowed me to find it right when I needed it. I mean here I am in I-can-eat-whatever-I-want-USA struggling with not eating out when the reality is that most of the rest of the world eats rice and beans daily instead of just Sundays. If you get a chance I would recommend you read this book! If you allow it, it could challenge you to live outside of the American standard and maybe even challenge you to live below your means.


Jen Hatmaker does this in her book, but if I could go back to 2005 Melissa I would tell her that what she was clinging so hard to was just a substitute happiness. I would cheer her on as she truly learned needs vs wants and became liberated by living under our means. I would also tell her that one day in 2011 the words "I am kinda passionate about budgeting" would come out of her mouth and she would probably laugh at me. Lastly, I would hug her and tell her to stay the course as God was going to do such a great transformation in her that she would in turn encourage others to get on board.

Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
Matthew 6:19-21

Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; a man’s life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.
Luke 12:15

No comments: